Pages

8/22/2014

Decluttering cookbooks and recipes


Awhile ago Colleen at 365 Less Things asked why keep cookbooks? Her post inspired me to take another look through my own cookbooks and recipes to see what I might want to thin out.

I know a lot of people love to cook and have shelves of cookbooks in their kitchen, but I don't. I'm not an adventurous cook, so I never had all that many cookbooks to deal with in the first place, but I did find some that I no longer used, so I recycled them.

Here's what I got rid of:
  • an old hometown cookbook put together by a group of ladies from our old church
  • an old Lions Club cookbook from the town where I grew up (I saved the recipe for my mother's applesauce cake that had been included, but got rid of the rest of the cookbook.)
  • the second volume of a two-volume Doubleday Cookbook set I bought from a book club when I was a new homemaker back in the late 70s.
  • I also looked through an envelope of loose recipes that I had clipped and saved, some from several years ago, but in all reality, if I haven't tried them yet, I probably won't, so they went into the recycling bin too.


With so many recipes for anything you could possibly want to make being posted on the internet, it's much easier to let go of a lot of our printed cookbooks and bulging recipe files.

If you use Evernote, that's a really handy place to keep recipes you might want to try. That's where I've been keeping mine lately.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting. Your comments are always welcome.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...